All Wales Medicines Strategy Group National Prescribing Indicators 2020 - 2021
Module created April 2020
This module provides an overview of the All Wales Medicines Strategy Group (AWMSG) National Prescribing Indicators for 2020 – 2021 subsequently referred to as NPIs. The All Wales Therapeutics and Toxicology Centre provide professional secretariat, pharmaceutical and clinical support to the All Wales Medicines Strategy Group and it’s sub groups.
National Prescribing Indicators (NPIs) are used to highlight therapeutic priorities for NHS Wales and compare the ways in which different prescribers and organisations use particular medicines or groups of medicines. Since endorsement of the first set of NPIs by the All Wales Medicines Strategy Group (AWMSG) in 2003, NPIs have evolved to include secondary care in addition to primary care, and encompass quality, safe, and efficient prescribing.
For 2020 – 2021 the NPI’s have been refreshed with the focus on 3 priority areas supported by safety and efficiency domains, as highlighted in the diagram. This refresh continues with the philosophy of prudent healthcare enabling higher quality and value through reducing variation waste and harm.
Developed by the All Wales Prescribing Advisory Group (AWPAG)
- May 2019: AWPAG NPI Task and Finish Group review and develop NPIs.
- June 2019: Recommendations for NPIs 2019–2020 discussed at AWPAG.
- September 2019: Draft consultation paper discussed at AWPAG.
- October 2019: Consultation with industry and stakeholders.
- December 2019: Final version presented to AWPAG.
- February 2020: Final document endorsed by the All Wales Medicines Strategy Group (AWMSG).