People with chronic pain may be referred to a multi-disciplinary team. This should comprise of multi-allied health professionals e.g occupational therapists and nurses that could help with functional restoration programmes. Supporting self-management is crucial.
People should understand that the aim of treatment is managing the pain and not curing them of it.
There are options available:
- Graded exercise (via a group exercise referral scheme) and keeping active
- Cognitive behavioural therapy (CBT) by a trained practitioner
- Mindfulness and acceptance and commitment therapy (ACT) to help with acceptance of their condition
- Physiotherapy referral for manual therapy
- Frequent goal setting and activity planning to maintain meaningful interests and positive behaviours