- Welsh Assembly Government. (2011). Welsh Health Survey 2011.
- Public Health Wales Observatory. (2010). Lifestyle and health: Wales and its Health Boards. Cardiff: Public Health Observatory.
- Royal College of Physicians of London. (2000). Nicotine addiction in Britain: A Report of the Tobacco Advisory Group of the Royal College of Physicians London: Royal College of Physicians.
- International Agency for Research on Cancer. (2002) Tobacco smoke and involuntary smoking. IARC monographs on the evaluation of carcinogenic risk to humans. Vol 83. Lyon: IARC.
- Doll, R. et al. (1994). Mortality in relation to smokers: 40 years' observations on male British Doctors. Mortality in Relation to Smokers 309; 901-911.
- Scientific Committee on Tobacco and Health (SCOTH) (2004). Secondhand Smoke: Review of the evidence since 1998. London: Department of Health.
- The Information Centre. (2007). Infant Feeding Survey 2005.
- Action on Smoking and Health (ASH) (2006). Essential information on smoking, sex, and reproduction. London: ASH.
- Larsen, L.G. et al. (2002). Stereologic examination of placentas from mothers who smoke during pregnancy. American Journal of Obstetrics & Gynaecology. 186: 531-537.
- British Medical Association (BMA). (2004). Smoking and Reproductive Health. London: BMA.
- Poswillo, D., and Alberman, E. (1992). Effects of smoking on the foetus, neonate, and child. OUP.
- Haddow, J.E. et al. (1993). Teratology. 47: 225–228.
- Department of Health. (1998). Smoking Kills: A White Paper on Tobacco. London: The Stationary Office.
- US Department of Health and Human Services (1994). Preventing tobacco use among young people: a report of the Surgeon General. United States Public Health Service. USA: Office on Smoking and Health. Accessed 20 Feb 2015.
- Department of Health (2007). Review of health inequalities infant mortality PSA target. London: Department of Health.
- Hruba, D., and Kachlik, P. (2000). Influence of maternal active and passive smoking during pregnancy on birth weight in newborns. Central European Journal of Public Health. 8: 249 -52.
- Windham, G.C. et al. (2000). Pre-natal active or passive tobacco smoke exposure and the risk of pre-term delivery. Epidemiology. 11: 427-33.
- George, L. et al. (2006). Environmental tobacco smoke and risk of spontaneous abortion. Epidemiology. 17 (5): 500-505.
- Callum, C., Boyle, S., and Sandford, A. (2006). Cost of smoking to the NHS in England, 2006. Health Economics Policy and Law. In press.
- Philips, C..J., and Bloodworth, A. (2009). Cost of smoking to the NHS in Wales. Swansea University.
- Royal College of Physicians. (2000). Nicotine addiction in Britain: A Report of the Tobacco Advisory Group of the Royal College of Physicians. London: Royal College of Physicians.
- Heatherton, T., Kozlowski, L., Frecker, R., and Fagerstrom, K. (1991). The Fagerstrom Test for Nicotine Dependence: a revision of the Fagerstrom Tolerance Questionnaire. British Journal of Addiction, 86 (9), 1119-1127.
- Office for National Statistics (ONS). (2009). Smoking-related behaviour and attitudes, 2008/09. Newport: ONS.
- Hansbro, J., Bridgwood, A., Morgan, A., and Hickman, M. (1996). Health in England 1996: what people know, what people think, what people do. A survey of adults aged 16-74 in England. Office for National Statistics, Social Survey Division on behalf of the Health Education Authority. London: The Stationery Office.
- West, R. (1997). Getting serious about stopping smoking. A review of products, services and techniques. A report for No Smoking Day, 1997.
- Parrott, S., Godfrey, C., Raw, M. et al. (1998). Guidance for commissioners on the cost-effectiveness of smoking cessation interventions. Thorax; 53 (Suppl 5): S1-38.
- Richmond, R. L. (1999). Physicians can make a difference with smokers: evidence based clinical approaches. International Journal of Tuberculosis and Lung Disease, 3;100-12.
- National Institute for Health and Clinical Excellence (NICE). (2006). Brief interventions and referral for smoking cessation in primary care and other settings. London: NICE.
- Prochaska, J. O., and DiClemente, C. (1983). Stages and processes of Self-Change in Smoking: Towards an Integrative Model of Change. Journal of Consulting Clinical Psychology, 51:390-5.
- Welsh Medicines Resource Centre (WeMeReC). (2009). Bulletin: Smoking Cessation: September 2009. Accessed 20 Feb 2015.
- British National Formulary. (Now Medicines Complete). Accessed 20 Feb 2015.
- Electronic Medicines Compendium (eMC online) 20 Feb 2015.
- Medicines and Healthcare products Regulatory Agency (MHRA online).
- North West Medicines Information Centre. (2010). Which medicines need dose adjustment when a patient stops smoking? UKMI Q&A 136.3
- Welsh Assembly Government. (2005). Designed for Life: Creating World Class Health and Social Care for Wales in the 21stCentury. Cardiff: WAG.
- National Public Health Service (NPHS) Wales. Smoking cessation NRT guidance. [See the Supplement for web link.]
- West, R. et al., (2000). Smoking cessation guidelines for health professionals: an update. Thorax2000; 55; 987-999.
- Stop Smoking Wales. (2011). Stop Smoking Wales Annual Report.
- National Institute for Health and Clinical Excellence (NICE). (2008). Smoking cessation services in primary care, pharmacies, local authorities and workplaces, particularly for manual working groups, pregnant women and hard to reach communities. NICE public health guidance 10.
- National Institute for Health and Clinical Excellence (NICE). (2006). Brief Interventions and referral for smoking cessation in primary care and other settings.
- National Institute for Health and Clinical Excellence (NICE). (2007). Smoking cessation – varenicline.
- National Institute for Health and Clinical Excellence (NICE). (2010). Quitting smoking in pregnancy and following childbirth.
- Consideration of Smoking and Completion of the Fit Note Healthy Working Wales (HWW) Fitness for Work guidance, Health Fit Note FAQ guidance
- Welsh Government. The Corporate Health Standard Award and the Small Workplace Health Award. Cardiff: WG.
- Public Health Wales Trust / Welsh Government (June 2012) Tobacco and health in Wales ISBN:978-0-9572759-0-4
- Addiction Guide a US resource providing up-to-date information about various addictions and how to overcome them.
Summary of NICE guidance
SSW flowchart, pharmacotherapy letters, annual report results table
Training Standards (pdf)
Brief Intervention for Smoking Cessation e-learning package on http://www.mle.wales.nhs.uk/ Learning@Wales website